This is the million dollar question. You can have every anti-virus / anti-spyware program in the world installed on your computer but threats can still sneak though. It’s like getting a flue shot, but then still winding up with the flu. Don’t loose hope, there are still a number of things you can do to help:
- Keep your Anti-Spyware & Anti-Virus programs up-to-date with the latest definitions.
- Keeping your computer up-to-date, this includes Windows Updates and Security Patches.
- Review all software license (aka EULA) before installing.
- Unchecked unwanted Toolbars and Add-ins when installing legitimate software.
- Visit only safe and trusted websites, if it seems “fishy” well then head out.
- Do not click on links from spam or junk emails.
- Keep in mind that the golden rule is nothing in life is free. Most “free” software generally comes with a little added bonus of spyware.